Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Back in Oregon; Summary of Lessons Learned.

WOW, what a journey. I was in Chicago for two days over 11 weeks. This was the longest I had ever been away from home. I can not attempt to summarize everything I did there or how I walked away changed. So instead I will attempt to summarize the lessons I learned instead of the things I did.

Lesson 1 (Diversity)
The first thing that hit me about Chicago was all the diversity. I will not spend any time on this lesson because I discussed it in a previous note as well as a facebook note.

Lesson 2 (Dependence)
Another lesson I learned was how to better depend on God. This happened for several reasons. First was that by the nature of my brother's jobs and the busy lives people tend to lead in Chicago I had to spend a lot of time by myself. I typically hate being by myself. But WHAT A BLESSING! I read my bible on a regular basis. I was praying more then I had in years. But this was only half the piece. I am reading a book that a friend in Chicago hooked me on this book was The Spirit-Filled Life by Charles Stanley. The first few chapters really drive home the idea of being dependent on the spirit. I am still reading this book and it is changing me for the better.

Lesson 3 (Satisfied)
This lesson was discussed in previous blog please see it.

Lesson 4 (Devoted)
While similar to dependence I do not think they are the same thing. I can be completely and utterly devoted to something but not be dependent on it. I also think I can be dependent it on something but not be devoted to it. With that being said I learned better how to be devoted to God because of things listed in all the other lessons. But also because of a book which I mentioned in previous blogs called the Heavenly Man by Brother Yun. This book shows the life of a man who is so devoted to God and the ministry God called him to that he nearly loses everything else (which was clearly not God's will for his Life). It was like a smack in the face. I realized I need to be devoted to God in all I do!

While I have learned more lessons, I think we all know how learning lessons goes. We often forget we learned, we don't think it really matters anymore, ect. So the three listed above I am praying I remember and forever will remember the summer in Chicago where I learned how to give more of myself to the one who gave all of his.

If you would like to know more about my time in Chicago then I would love to talk to you.

I am going to keep blogging it will be the same address just retitled. Look for it!

Love,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment